Friday, March 10, 2006

making faith your own

As the writer of Ecclesiastes writes, "there is a time (season) for everything." And whether or not you're aware of it, adolescence is the time or season of life when we begin to make things our own. There is a natural increase in the desire for freedom; to make our own decisions, to make our own money, to think for ourselves.

In light of that, I appeal to you, my adolescent friends, to take the work of pursuing God seriously, to begin making it your own. Who wants to wake up as a twenty year old and realize that everything they believe in has really only been received from others without question, like those baby eagles that allow their mothers to regurgitate into their mouths:)

I am as convinced that God exists as I am that Kayla loves me. His love and sovereign wisdom have been displayed and evidenced in my life innumerable times. I see the effects of the Spirit's presence and activity just as I have experienced the effects of the wind at the
Oregon Coast. Scripture has been a life-source of truth, conviction, and encouragement. I hope more than anything that these things will become true for you as you journey through these teen years.

But if you think it's just going to happen, you've misjudged. Make no mistake about it: God is the one at work in our lives, drawing us to himself and transforming our lives so that we can know God, love God, and obey God; but it is a cooperative effort! You and God, God and I, you and I, WE. In his grace, he doesn't force us into anything, nor does he do it all for us. Have you ever met a young adult who has never had to be responsible. Their rich parents do everything for them. They make few personal sacrifices to get what they want and the result is often the creation of a person who is discontent, self absorbed, and generally ungrateful. Thank God that he doesn't raise his children like this. We're co-workers with Christ in this work of faith.

Are you ready to seek after God, not because you have to or because it's just what your family does? Are you ready to make your faith your own?

No comments: