Wednesday, November 23, 2005

sharing my adventures with you...


Hello Friends,

As many of you already know, I’ll be flying to Thailand on December 31 for thirteen days. This is an act of obedience (to God) that I am excited to take. About a year ago I first became aware of the unthinkable horror of human trafficking and the use the children in the sex trade industry. I felt that this was something I MUST do something about, I just didn’t know what. I met Karl Ralston, founder of a non-profit called “Remember Nhu” who came to Newberg and shared with many of us the journey that God has brought him on to help eliminate the use of children in the sex trade industry. This seemed like part of God’s answer to my prayer to provide an outlet to get involved.

I’ll be traveling with Karl and 40 others during this trip and meeting the people whom I have only heard about through Karl’s stories; people who have said “Yes” to God as He has called them to protect and nurture the children who are most at risk. I’ll be traveling to the “Hill Tribe” people (the “long neck” women from the National Geographic photos you’ve all seen) where many girls are sold or abducted for this purpose. I’ll also get the chance of going to the coast where last December’s tsunami hit, not only to see the devastation, but also to begin the process of founding a new orphanage. Rumor has it that we may even get the chance to bring in a few kids off the street while we are there. I hope to be able to share my adventure with you when I return so that what God is doing in Thailand (and in me) can become what God is doing in US.

My way is paid. But I do want to give you opportunity to be involved in this with me. I’m attempting to pack everything I will need in my carry-on luggage; leaving two extremely large suitcases to be filled with clothes for the kids. I will also have opportunity to support these orphanages first hand and see where our dollars go when we support “Remember Nhu.” So, I’m inviting you to join me in this adventure by filling my suitcases with clean, new or gently used clothes (for girls and boys ages 2-18) and/or by donating money that I will give directly to “Remember Nhu” when I go (checks can be made out to “Remember Nhu”). Clothes can be brought to Sunday School (at the Friends House) or directly to my office corner at the NFC office. My personal goal would be to pack both suitcases so tight that they budge the 75 lbs. weight limit and to pass along an additional $500 to Remember Nhu when I meet up with them. Thank you so much for remembering me in your prayers. Please also remember my family. Thirteen days is a long time for “Daddy” to be away from home. Kayla and I are not used to being apart for so long which can make it additionally challenging to care for the needs of three preschoolers (even if they are the cutes, sweetest kids on planet Earth).

Thank you so much, friends for the ways that you help make my life full of life-giving experiences. May God bless your families tomorrow as you feast with friends and family.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck in thailand!! i am praying for you, and i know a bunch of other people are too. i know that you will be doing a very good work in there, so just make as big of an impact as you can while you're there. you cant go to thailand and cambodia every day, you know... :^)

peace to you!